An avatar is a representation of oneself (whether fictional or real).
In a virtual world, an avatar is a digital persona that you can create and customize. It's you — only in 3D. You can create an avatar that resembles your real life or create an alternate identity. The only limit is your imagination.
Your Gravatar is an image that follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things like comment or post on a blog. Avatars help identify your posts on blogs and web forums, so why not on any site?
- Gravatar: http://gravatar.com/
- Gravatar API (to support Gravatar use/editing in your own site): http://gravatar.com/site/implement/
- ProfilePic Maker: https://pfpmaker.com/
- YourOwnAvatar: http://www.yourownavatar.com/
- MARVEL - Create Your Own Super Hero (avatar): http://marvel.com/create_your_own_superhero
- Create Your Own Simpsons Avatar (Simpsons Character): http://laughingsquid.com/create-your-own-simpsons-avatar/
- Build your own avatar:
- DoppelMe - The Free (cartoonish) Dynamic Avatar Maker: http://www.doppelme.com/
- Build an Avatar (using good ol' hand-drawn style methods, in digital art): http://www.seamless3d.com/tut/build_av/index.html
- wikipedia: Avatar (computing)
- wikipedia: Avatar
- wikipedia: Gravatar
- Microsoft study finds creepy avatars are a no-no in the workplace: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-study-finds-creepy-avatars-are-a-no-no-in-the-workplace/8836?tag=mantle_skin;content
- Second Life - What is an Avatar: http://secondlife.com/whatis/avatar/