MovieLens is a website and movie database which makes movie recommendations personalized to your tastes. You rate 15 movies (or more -- some members rate thousands!), then MovieLens matches your ratings with other people's in order to help you find movies you'll like.
Free, personalized, non-commercial, ad-free, great movie recommendations.
Information taken directly from the About Us section of the MovieLens site follows.
What is MovieLens?
MovieLens is a movie recommendation website. You tell us what movies you love and hate. We use that information to generate personalized recommendations for other movies you will like and dislike.
Does it really work?
As we say in Minnesota... You betcha! We have thousands of users who love MovieLens and have provided millions of ratings. The only way to really find out is to try it for yourself.
How does it work?
MovieLens uses a technology called collaborative filtering to generate movie recommendations. It works by matching together users with similar opinions about movies. Each member of the system has a 'neighborhood' of other like-minded users. Ratings from these neighbors are used to create personalized recommendations for the target user.
Who are you and why do you do MovieLens?
GroupLens Research is part of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota. We study a number of research areas:
* Recommender system algorithms * Information filtering * Interface design * Online community design and theory * Mobile computing
We built MovieLens as an experimental platform to allow us to study these areas in ways that help real people with real needs. By using MovieLens and (optionally) participating in occasional studies, our members help us learn to give them even better movie recommendations.
- MovieLens: http://movielens.umn.edu/
- At Movielens.org, everyone's a critic: http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/04/01_robertsc_movielens/?refid=0
- MovieLens: Personalized Movie Recommendations with Stunning Accuracy: http://www.kreativrauschen.com/blog/2007/10/14/movielens-personalized-movie-recommendations-with-stunning-accuracy/
- MovieLens Whitepaper - Social Preferences and User Communities: http://www.si.umich.edu/~yanchen/papers/soc_pref_movielens_20071220.pdf