From BC$ MobileTV Wiki
Network Externalities (also known as Network Effects) are the effects of a community in creating a support network for a given object (such as a product or service). Network Effects lead to exponential growth curves in user adoption.
- wikipedia: Metcalfe's Law
- All About Network Effects: http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/palgrave/network.html
- Sean Parker’s Rise of Facebook And Twitter, Fall Of Google Presentation (Effect of Network Effects on Google): http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/23/sean-parkers-rise-of-facebook-and-twitter-fall-of-google-full-slide-deck/
- Metcalfe's Law in Reverse: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990725.html
- Metcalfe's Law is Wrong: http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/networks/metcalfes-law-is-wrong
- Metcalfe’s Law -- more misunderstood than wrong?: http://blog.simeonov.com/2006/07/26/metcalfes-law-more-misunderstood-than-wrong/