An Electronic Programming Guide (EPG) is a linear and sequential menu system for viewing content in a list-like presentation. The most common form of EPG is one which lists content sequentially (by Channel number) from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen.
As Digital Broadcast technologies begin to take over analog, the EPG will become an increasingly important source of information about what is on TV at any given point. Already, they serve as the main resource used by millions of people world wide, and without them (EPGs) we may be relegated back to the dark ages of channel surfing.
TV Guide is likely the most well-known EPG service in North America. They began providing EPGs in print form from 
Aliant TV serves the Atlantic provinces of Canada as the go-to TV listings service for local programming and line-ups. 
- BBC Programmes Ontology: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ontologies/programmes/
- TV Guide: http://www.itv.com/tvguide/
- iTV is powered by TV Genius: http://www.tvgenius.net/solutions/web-solutions/
- Article on EPG Design: http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/EPG_Design
Java DAB EPG API
An implementation of the ETSI DAB EPG standard (ETSI TS 102 818) incorporating an XML and binary marshaller (ETSI TR 102 371). This can be used by broadcasters for sending EPG data to a DAB multiplex for broadcast, or for general schedule interfacing.
JAVA EPG XML: http://sourceforge.net/projects/java-epg-xml/
- How they make a TV Grid section in this video on printing a newspaper: https://youtu.be/vPvcVOwv_Jk
- Make the most of YouTube TV with these 14 tips: https://www.techhive.com/article/3509582/how-to-make-the-most-of-youtube-tv.html (how to customize LiveGuide)
- wikipedia: EPG
- wikipedia: TV listings
- Overview - The End of Paper TV Guides: https://techcrunch.com/2006/07/30/overview-the-end-of-paper-tv-guides/
- (After 80 years of printing the “What’s On TV” section) 'New York Times' Stops Printing TV Listings: https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/355292/new-york-times-stops-printing-tv-listings.html (a trend seen at many major and local/regional newspapers to cut costs)
- TV Guide Magazine Is Still Here, and Is Doing Just Fine: https://www.foliomag.com/tv-guide-magazine-still-just-fine/
- The TV Guide TV Listings have been available online in various formats, since 2001: http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/default.aspx
- Bell - Interactive Programming Guide: http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpTv_IPG.page (Formerly Aliant TV listings: http://public.aliant.net/Section.jsp?sectname=EPG&language=fr&province=NB )