An endorsement is the representation of a person's positive connection or personal convictions towards a specific company or brand. The word representation is used here, as the endorsements may, or may not always represent a real-world conviction or positive connection.
Endorsements may take any of several formats:
- A specific non-targeted message (which can typically be archived), such as:
- a blog post - letter to the editor (article written with a specific intent to non-specific audience, i.e. whoever reads newspaper) - website content (temporarily posted on behalf of a specific company or initiative, typically on a primary or secondary page, probably archived off the page
after a certain amount of time)
- A specific, targeted message
- TV ads generally fall into this category (though less and less, as audiences become more fragmented and thus less predictable/target-able through this medium) - A third-party, or co-branded Magazine Ad intending to reach a specific audience - paid advertisement in which a paid celebrity or other notable media figure promotes a product, service or campaign through a given Ad network and medium
with the intent to target a specific demographic or other group, and with clear financial incentives for promoting the given product, service or campaign
- A non-specific, non-targeted message
- paid advertisement promoting a general brand or company through an Ad network - billboard advertisement promoting a - classifieds ad in newspaper
- A non-specific supportive remark
- blog responses (may be considered spam if it is too off-subject or obviously promoting a hidden interest) - general forum post (also, often considered as spamming if it is unsolicited) - Social Networking Widgets, Brand Associations or Preferences
Endorsements .vs. Recommendations
Endorsements differ from a recommendation in that it occurs at the company or brand level as opposed to the product, service, individual content offering or interaction level.
- SocialVibe's Social Endorsements Program (allows users to get paid for endorsing a specific brand on their blog, website or social networking profile):