Ogg is a free, open standard container format maintained by the Xiph Foundation. The name Ogg refers to the file format (.ogg), which can multiplex a number of separate independent free and open source codecs for audio, video, text (such as subtitles), and metadata.
In the Ogg multimedia framework, Theora provides a lossy video layer, while the music-oriented Vorbis codec most commonly acts as the audio layer. The human speech compression codec Speex, lossless audio compression codec FLAC, and OggPCM may also act as audio layers. It is claimed (yet to be proven as fact, but looks good so far) that Ogg is a truly unrestrictive multimedia software format free of patents or manipulative licensing designed to introduce cost structures.
- TinyVid: http://tinyvid.tv/ (experimental sharing portal supporting only Ogg video format)
- List of Theora videos: http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/List_of_Theora_videos
- ffmpeg2theora: http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/
- Firefogg (FireFox-plugin based n-to-OGG video converter) http://firefogg.org/
- Ogg Vorbis: http://www.vorbis.com/
- wikipedia: Ogg
- Install an Ogg Vorbis iTunes plugin (revisited):http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021103065300430