A podcast is a term coined by wikipedia:Apple Apple to describe a unique RSS implementation intended to describe media files which are published to the web for download or streaming (originally - and typically - audio files such as MP3, WAV or other audio formats).
The prefix "pod" indicates the word's origin as Apple's original proprietary publishing format for the iPod, most notably through their iTunes store. Later, they opened up the standard and became a leading source of podcasts and played a large role in the uptake of podcasting across the web.
- Apple's Podcasting Technical Specifications: http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/podcaststechspecs.html#formattingvideo
- How to publish a podcast on the iTunes Store (official): http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302199
- PHP-based PodcastGenerator: http://www.scripts.com/viewscript/podcast-generator/19671/
- eHow 7-step Guide - How to Publish your Podcast on iTunes: http://www.ehow.com/how_2027326_publish-podcast-itunes.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art
- CNET's Podcasting in a Weekend: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11293_7-6246557-1.html?tag=rb_mtx;wp_body