Yahoo! is the world's #1 content portal and #2 search engine in terms of popularity (traffic and volume).
- 1 Services
- 2 Internet Properties
- 3 Open Source Projects
- 4 Revenue
- 5 Yahoo! Music API
- 6 Resources
- 7 External Links
- 8 References
Without a doubt, Search is the most important (and fleeting) technological capability of Yahoo! It is the one service that touches all aspects of the Yahoo! brand in one way or another.
Yahoo! Video Search
Yahoo!'s video search is one of the most useful of the major search engines for retrieving actual original source files for videos, as opposed to a protected format, or embed code for a Flash-based web video.
Yahoo! Image Search
Yahoo! Image Search performs well and has a complete set of APIs for providing photo searching capabilities within your own site.
In February, 2008, Yahoo! introduced Yahoo! LIVE, a service for broadcasting live video over the web via webcam.
- Yahoo! LIVE sample (using GUI controls): http://live.yahoo.com/swf/v1/sample.php
- Yahoo! LIVE - Skinless Player example: http://live.yahoo.com/swf/v1/skinless.php
- Yahoo! TV: http://tv.yahoo.com/
- Full-Length TV Shows on Yahoo! TV: http://tv.yahoo.com/tv-shows-online
- Yahoo! TV -- Listings (EPG): http://tv.yahoo.com/listings
Primetime in No Time
- Primetime in No Time -- A Recap of Last Night's TV Shows: http://primetime.tv.yahoo.com/
Yahoo! CONNECTED TV
The best of the Internet on your TV (TV Widgets from Yahoo!), Connected TV is Yahoo!'s newest service, complete with an API and Developer platform. Their widget goes "Tap into the mass market.Build a Yahoo! TV Widget".
- Yahoo! CONNECTED TV: http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/
- Yahoo! CONNECTED TV -- Developer Platform: http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/developer
In 1997, Yahoo! followed suite to Microsoft's Hotmail acquisition and aggressive push with Microsoft Outlook and started their own thin webmail client (long before Google's 2005 launch of GMAIL). Yahoo! has since acquired Four11 and OddPost to add Outlook-like interactive Drag & Drop features and AJAX loading for faster mail access as well as other optimizations. wikipedia: Yahoo Mail
Yahoo! Mobile is the mobile division of Yahoo!'s related brands and web services, with a particular focus on web search and web mail.
- Yahoo! stacks big, purple mobile pack: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/01/yahoo_mobile_relaunch_09/
- Search Yahoo! Shopping Using REST: http://labs.gotfoo.org/yahooshoppingsearch.php
- Yahoo! Messenger: http://messenger.yahoo.com/
- Yahoo! Messenger for the Web: http://messenger.yahoo.com/web/
Yahoo! currently owns a large number of complimentary and/or previously competing internet properties, spanning a broad spectrum of services and/or functionalities, the majority of which were acquired via a buyout, merger or other acquisition.
Flickr is quickly becoming the world's photo sharing hub.
- PHP Flickr (classes + examples for working with Flickr API): http://phpflickr.com/
- Phlickr (the official Flickr API, written in PHP): http://drewish.com/projects/phlickr/
Jumpcut is a Yahoo! acquisition that has gone mostly under the radar, as Jumpcut has all but ceased to create any further innovations since their initial "online video editing suite". (closed in late 2008)
Delicious is one of Yahoo!'s flagship acquisitions and represents their foray into Social Bookmarking.
Overture was certainly one of the largest acquisitions of Yahoo! to date. With its focus on search marketing and display ads, Overture has been integrated with mixed reviews by search marketers and advertisers.
Open Source Projects
Yahoo! Pipes is a "Social Media Search Engine" that searches for all media (images, animations, videos, audio files) to aggregate the occurrences of a brand or particular search term over the most popular media sites on the web. The project attempts to create a traditional Database Management system, however as Alex Iskold at ReadWriteWeb reminds us "unlike in Relational Databases, the data (on the web) is neither structured nor clean".
- Yahoo! Pipes: http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/
- 1st Demo: http://pipes.yahoo.com/update_maker/social_media_fire_hose
- YAHOO! DEVELOPER TUTORIAL - New Yahoo! Pipes PHP serialized output renderer: http://blog.pipes.yahoo.net/2008/04/02/new-yahoo-pipes-php-serialized-output-renderer/
- A typical Yahoo! Pipe - US Population by State: http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=_Ia89ose3BGMZ6YNlvXiAA
- Learn How to Build a Pipe in Just a Few Minutes: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5260536/13878389
BOSS (Build your Own Search Service) is Yahoo!'s open search web services platform. The goal of BOSS is simple: to foster innovation in the search industry. Developers, start-ups, and large Internet companies can use BOSS to build and launch web-scale search products that utilize the entire Yahoo! Search index.
- BOSS -- The Next Step in our Open Search Ecosystem (announcement from official Yahoo! Search Blog): http://www.ysearchblog.com/archives/000599.html
- Yahoo to Enable Custom Semantic Search Engines: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/yahoo_to_enable_custom_semantic_search.php
SearchMonkey is Yahoo! Search's new open platform for enabling "enhanced" search results. Using SearchMonkey, developers and site owners can use structured data to make Yahoo! Search results more useful and visually appealing, and drive more relevant traffic to their sites.
- Yahoo! to open up Search: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9944362-7.html?hhTest=1
- SearchMonkey Guide: http://developer.yahoo.com/searchmonkey/smguide/php.html
- Introducing YUI - The Rising Giant: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/10/01/introducing-yui-the-rising-giant/
(Formerly the Yahoo! Publisher Network)
Yahoo! Search Marketing
Yahoo! Music API
The Yahoo! Music API gives developers access to the Yahoo! Music catalog of artists, albums, tracks, videos, ratings and more. It provides numerous ways to browse the catalog: through charts, search, similarities, genres, artists, and user recommendations and ratings. Adding content to your site becomes simple when using our API and video player.
Yahoo Media Player
- Yahoo Media Player: http://www.sajithmr.com/yahoo-media-player/
- Sample Search Query XML for Yahoo! Video Search: http://search.yahooapis.com/VideoSearchService/V1/videoSearch?appid=YahooDemo&query=madonna&results=2
- YSlow tool (JS and WebApp performance analyzer) FAQ: http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/faq.html#faq_cdn
- Yahoo! PlaceMaker: http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001856.html
- Yahoo! rewiring itself from the inside out: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-9927876-2.html?hhTest=1
- Yahoo! BOSS (Build Your Own Search Service): http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9986424-93.html?hhTest=1&tag=nefd.lede
- Yahoo! Search Turns 5, Has Tech to Show For It: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/yahoo_search_turns_5_has_tech.php
- Harvard Prof - Deceptive Ads ‘Widespread’ On Yahoo’s Right Media: http://searchengineland.com/harvard-prof-deceptive-ads-widespread-on-yahoos-right-media-16154
- Yahoo Impulse & Search Behavioral Ads: http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/051202-091109
- Yahoo Launches New Behavioral Ads: http://www.redherring.com/Home/22406
- Yahoo Launches Behavioural Ad Targeting (again): http://www.watblog.com/2008/01/20/yahoo-launches-its-behavioural-ad-platform/
- Yahoo! Behavioral Targeting revisited: http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2009/apr/22/yahoo-behavioral-targeting/?partner=RSS
- Online Advertising - 5 Reasons why Behavioral Targeting might not work in India: http://www.watblog.com/2007/07/19/online-advertising-5-reasons-why-behavioral-target/
- It's official - Microsoft-Yahoo ink 10-year search pact; Regulator scrum begins: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21890&tag=nl.e589
- Yahoo Gives In to Microsoft, Gives Up on Search (still retains Ad rights): http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2009/tc20090728_826397.htm
- Yahoo! RSS Feeds Available for Web Search, Images & Video Search: http://www.labnol.org/internet/search/yahoo-search-rss-feeds-images-video/4359/
- Yahoo Web Analytics in 30 minutes (VIDEO): http://visualrevenue.com/blog/2009/06/yahoo-web-analytics-30-min-video.html
- Yahoo Reverses Its Web Strategy With Web Videos : http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/technology/internet/16yahoo.html
- Yahoo Does Something Right -- Leapfrogs To No. 2 Spot In Web Video: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/31/yahoo-does-something-right-leapfrogs-to-no-2-spot-in-web-video/
- Yahoo! cuddles Google's bastard grid-child (HADOOP) -- Gets 'butt kicking' from Microsoft: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/26/yahoo_hadoop_summit/
- Yahoo! Pipes and The Web As Database: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/yahoo_pipes_web_database.php